Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Best Laid Plans....

The following will be a good illustration of my my life in Africa the last few weeks. Here I have a perfectly good cloudy Saturday afternoon on which I have determined to bring this blog up to date and now I am going to have to stop soon. I actually still have an internet connection, but now the power keeps fluctuating on and off and my laptop battery is extremely low. Oh, the best laid plans!! I will however leave you with a few items that I have found "interesting" and have had to get used to since coming to Africa:
---- Having gecko's running everywhere inside the house. As it turns out, they are a blessing (once you get used to them) because they eat the bugs that are also in your house.
---- Sleeping under a mosquito net every night and learning to view mosquitoes as your mortal enemy.
--- Having to turn on the small switch located ON the outlet every time you want to use the outlet. I can't tell you how many things I thought I was charging only to find out later that I hadn't turned on the switch!!
--- Having to learn to turn on the switch that turns on the hot water heater. ( I'm sensing a pattern here.....)
--- Ordering a hamburger and having it show up on a tortilla bun.
--- Getting used to calling french fries "chips".
--- The fact that having electricity can constitute having a great day!!!!!!
More later.........

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's our philosophy on the things you talk about, which we can relate to every one but the mosquito net,
1) we will never again take any kind of utility (electricity, water, hot water heater, internet, or phone service) for granted.


2) We threw away our task/to-do list. Now if we accomplish one thing it's been a good day, if we accomplish two things it's been a red letter day, and if we accomplish three things we treat ourselves to dinner at a restaurant.

Life in a third-world country forces you to lower the bar and so grateful for the things we take for granted in the US.

Love ya,
Wayne y Elaine

Unknown said...

Hello my dear friend....
I+m so happy that I have found you...Many many times I have wonderd where U are...I´m so glad that you are there serving our God, halleluja.
Would be nice to get a chort personal message from you....when U have time. With love,and greetings from us all.
Grace
P.s. good that you have this blog !!!

Cafe Artiste said...

Thanks for the udpate! I checked out your blog after reading an e-amil update from you via our Missions Committee.

I'm a little behind, but what is your specific task(s) in Africa and how long will you live there?

Also, I love the details you write about. I'm living vicariously through your experiences, and it is delightful to read about the little things that impact your daily life.

Thank you again for your commitment to the Lord and the work you plan to do there. I've always wanted to visit Africa! Take good care. You're in our prayers.

Andrea
Cornerstone Christian Church
Wichita, Kan.